Recipes, produce information and forum for Zoe's Garden Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) members. Zoe's Garden offers CSA subscriptions in the Park City, Heber, Salt Lake, Ogden & Lindon areas. Our purpose is to provide the freshest naturally grown produce possible by delivering it to our local members within a day of picking.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shungiku: best wrapping leaf ever!

I'm SO excited, I have to tell you how tasty my meal was tonight - thanks to Shungiku leaves.  They're the PERFECT leaf for wrapping other food because:
  1. They're not brittle, so they won't crack - and they roll really nicely
  2. They're thick and sturdy enough to keep food from poking through
  3. Their flavor is really tasty, but subtle - so it doesn't over-power whatever you put inside
My husband and I rotisseried a duck tonight.  We mixed the duck meat and skin with some mango chutney, then laid the mixture plus chopped Onion Scapes inside Shungiku leaves and rolled.  Magnificent! (if I do say so myself : )  Then I put the duck carcass inside the crock pot with water, onion scape, herbs from my share (English Thyme & Tarragon) plus ginger and lemon.  It will make a beautiful stock while I sleep - and tomorrow, I'll throw some of the other greens from my share in the stock to make a tasty soup.  Yum, yum, yum.  Lovin' my share!

No comments:

Post a Comment